1 John5:4 ‘’ for whosoever is born of God overcomes the world: and this is the victory that overcomes the world even our faith’’
Why did the scripture use the word overcome? To overcome is defeat something or someone, or to successfully deal with or gain control of something difficult. This implies that life is a battlefield, this world we are is full of giants, full of difficulties. It is a war ground! And to be victorious you have to be different from the crowd, and what makes you different? You have to be regenerated, be born of God. Only the redeemed are designed from victory in this world, only those with God emerges winners in this world, that’s why Job said ‘’when men are cast down, then thou shall say, there is a lifting up; and he shall save the humble person. Job22:29’’ he knew that men shall come to a place of defeat but one with God shall be lifted, he said in verses 25 ‘’Yea the almighty shall be thy defence’’
Israel was confronted with a giant, many had been put down by the giant, and others had flee from the difficulties that confront them but a man who knew his God stood up to the giant. Only those who know their God can do exploit. You are destined for greatness but only those who know there God and who they are in him can achieve it, you are not in this world for fun-fare and until you begin to take responsibility for the outcome of your life you’ll be lost in the crowd.
Let’s learn some few tips from David’s confrontation with Goliath, from 1 Samuel 17:23-54
Verse 23&24, and as he talked with them, behold, there came up the champion, the Philis’tine of gath, Goli’ath by name, out of the armies of the Philis’tine, and spoke according to the same words: and David heard them. And all men of Israel, when they saw the man, fled from him, and were so afraid. How many times have you been faced with a situation and you fled from it, how many times have you been defeated in your mind even before you were beaten, so did the Israelites do, they were afraid.
- You must know your God; you are what you are today because of how much of God you know, my people are destroy because of lack of knowledge Hosea4:6 lack of what knowledge? The utmost is your knowledge of your God. David knew His God is the only living God and nothing and no one can defeat is God, David said who is this uncircumcised Philis’tine that dear to defile the living God. David knew is God, He knew what was backing him was superior to all and nothing can assault him. When you were little if anyone tries to abuse or assault, you’ll tell them i will call my daddy for you. He knew his living God as a father to Israel, and will not allow them to be put to shame. Know your God
- know who you are; Never let what people see and say about you tell you who you are. Who you are is in God alone. David was told, you are just a youth, you are not capable, you will die, please don’t do this, they may love you but they don’t know who you are, don’t let them hold you down from being what God has destine you to be.
- Be Confident; Only brave men can stand the tests of life. David was brave enough to even announce he could face the giant, considering the critics that would have been told of him, he stood to be different from the crowd. Many times we see situations happening around us, not necessarily to us but we shy away even though we are capable of solving it. I would rather stand with a confident man than a man who knows, because the confident man may appear to know. The act of faith is a confident act, you don’t just believe, you don’t just say it, you do it. David believed in himself and he spoke and he did as he has spoken.
- Be a Fighter; from David’s words to King Saul, you’ll agree me with that he was fighter, he spoke of how he fought the lion with his bare hands, he never let any unwanted circumstances pass, he fought for his own. Never let anyone or anything molest you. Fight fight! Whatever you permit will dominate you
- Take On The Full Armour Of God; On confronting the giant, David himself with the full armour of God. He was given the armour of man
- He was given the helmet of brass, but he refused if for the Helmet of salvation
- he was armed with the coat mail, but he refused it of the breastplate of righteousness
- He refused the sword of man for the sword of the Spirit
- He refused the shield of brass for the shield of faith
- And lastly he put upon his lips the word of God
Ephesians6:12 for we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and power, against the rulers of darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high place
You may not be faced with a physical goliath but a spiritual one, goliath stands as a principality to Israel and David put the armour of God and defeated that principality.
For the weapons of our welfare are not carnal…1 Cor 10:4 we don’t fight against man now, but our battles are essentially spiritual. And note this, your battles are also of the mind, all power belongs to God and no power is for the devil, but the devil practically fights our mind.
He scared the whole of Israel with how gigantic goliath looked but who would have known only a stone would have killed him.
Don’t let that mountain look too big, it’s only a mirage speak the word, out on the whole armour of G0d and come out victorious.