13 FACTS WITH PIGS.
1. Pigs are omnivores like human beings. They eat feeds from both plants and animal sources. They naturally prefer good fresh feeds but under starvation they may eat stale food. Humans too pick foods from refuse dumps under extreme starvation.
2. The meat of pigs do not have any anatomical features that makes it absorb toxins. In medicine test new drugs on pigs to analyse the safety profile of the drug before using it in humans. Sucvessful attempts have been made at transplanting skin and pancreas of pigs into humans.
3. Pork does not carry any concentration of toxins. It is a good source of protein approved by relevant authorities all over the world. The time it takes to digest it is not particularly shortened; and it depends on whether it was whole meat or grilled.
4. Perspiration through sweat glands is essentially a means of temperature regulation. Pigs don’t have sweat glands but the loose heat by bathing, wallowing, sleeping on cold floor, and urinating. Pigs have other means of excreting waste products of metabolism such as via the liver, kidneys and intestines.
5. Pigs can be killed with any chemical substance that can kill human beings. Pigs die when given overdose of medications.
6. When pigs are bitten by poisonous snakes, the pigs die. We have experienced that on the farm. No farmer keeps pigs in a rattlesnake nest.
7. When a pig is butchered, it gives clean lean meat of very high protein quality. It is packed hygienically so flies and worms don’t have access to them.
All livestock animals have the risk of harbouring parasites but in pig farms the pigs are reared within clean environment and are treated with medications as at when needed, such that pork is safe for human consumption.
Please be informed that all parasites and cysts have lethal temperature at which they die.
9. Today, we compound feeds for pigs. We select good breeds. Therefore the pig meat is lean, has minimal fat and very low cholesterol compared to other meats. Pork is medically okay for human consumption.
10. We don’t give foul diets to pigs. We give them scientifically compounded feed. Please note that the ability to digest food and remove toxins is not based on the number of stomachs. Human beings have only one stomach, like pigs. Both humans and pigs are able to properly digest their food.
11. All animals and plants carry diseases that may theoretically be passed to humans. In the case of pigs, in modern days, pigs are reared in clean pig farms and are treated when they fall sick. Pork is also processed under hygienic conditions. There is no risk of zoonotic diseases if people eat pork suya, pork asun, grilled pork, etc.
12. As earlier stated, when the pig has been raised under clean environment and the meat has been processed hygienically, the risk of trichinea worm infection is almost zero.
13.There is no sewer line or hole discharging pus from the legs of pigs. This is a false statement, written from a biased mind. The legs of pigs are clean and good for “bokoto” delicacies.
DR OLUKAYODE YINKA OLUYEMI IS A MEDICAL PRACTITIONER, A CONSULTANT UROLOGICAL SURGEON; AND A FARMER.
HE IS THE MD OF BLISS HOSPITAL UROLOGY CENTRE AND THE CEO OF OLUYEMI FARMS.
HE CAN BE REACHED ON firstname.lastname@example.org
13 FACTS WITH PIGS.