Out of the 50 states in the US, New York is the fourth most populous state with an estimate of 19.9 million residents as at 2015. New York is a prominent state in the north east part of the United States; it is comprised of several cities of varying sizes.
Out of all the cities in New York, New York City is the largest and most populous city in New York and America at large; it is the heart of the state where major economic activities are carried out.
New York City is an elegant city in America; it is of high historical importance, it is, thus, called a global city as it has significant influence in the political, cultural and socio-economic aspects in America. It is the world’s most economically powerful city; it is the basement of the major economic activities of the United States, it is a frontier of technology, research, fashion, education, entertainment and other socio economic activities.
This city is of utmost importance in the world; it is major tourist Centre where everyone craves. There are numerous facts about The New York City; only few are known to the world, most are esoteric; below are some of the facts about New York City:
- New York City used to be the capital of the United States of America: Many a people know The New York City used to be the capital of the US. For a period of 5 years, between 1785 and 1790 precisely, New York City was the capital the US before it was moved to Washington D.C.
- New York City is the most extensive and has the sixth busiest transit system in the world: By the virtue of the major economic activities of America centered in New York City, the city has a good number of commuters plying the subway on a daily basis.
- New York City is the major setting of films and movie since 1909: The magnificent nature of the city has made it fit for movie and film setting; over 20,000 films and movies used the city as their primary setting.
- Over 2.5 million of people living in The New York City are noncitizens of America: The New York City is referred to as the global city which provides enabling environment where all and sundry pool resources to achieve sustenance and blissful livelihood. People from various parts of the world reside in The New York City to make a way from various economic ways in the city.
- The first-ever pizzeria in the United states was situated in New York City: To all pizza lovers in America, the first pizzeria in United states founded by Italian immigrant Gennaro Lombardi in 1905 was established in New York City. Funny enough, the pizzeria still exist till date.
- New york city was founded as New Amsterdam in 1626: Today’s New York City used to be New Amsterdam from the point of inception but did not align with the five cities, Manhattan, Staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx, that make up The New York City today.
- New York City records over 40,000 street foods vendor and more than 20,000 street vendors: As said earlier, The New York City is known for economic activities; it is the United States of America Centre of commerce.
- There are tiny shrimp in The New York City drinking water: The drinking water present in the city has been observed to have tiny shrimp called copepods in it. Most people opt for table water instead of the one running from the tap.
- Albert Einstein’s eyeballs are stored in a safe deposit box in The New York City: Albert Einstein is a notable scientist and has contributed so much to science during his days on earth. His eyeballs have been kept in a safe box in The New York City for historical purpose.
- Women give birth in the city every 4.4 minutes: The city is a populous city; the birthrate of the city is very ridiculous. People find it very convenientto live in the city, thus, reproduction seems easy.
One of the most beautiful cities in the world is The New York City; English language is the major means of communication and it provides a soothing environment for business and economic services to thrive. It is a city of all and sundry; the city has huge impact on the economy of America at large, it is indeed a center of commerce in America.