Let us first appreciate the fact that the Holy Ghost is a personality, not a feeling or substance. He is the third person of the God-head (1 John 5:7). He is our most essential partner in the journey of life.
His core mission is to help believers through the journey of life. He is to make our lives meaningful, impactful and profitable. The Holy Ghost is the One that makes redemption profitable, valuable, impactful and meaningful.
God’s Word says: The body without the spirit is dead…(James 2:26). So, Christianity without the Holy Ghost is dead, meaningless and valueless. Just like the body without the spirit is dead, redemption without the Holy Ghost is nothing but religious frustration.
The Holy Ghost is our eternal Helper. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you (John 16:7-8). The word ‘Comforter’ means helper. So, we need the Holy Ghost as our eternal Helper and His ministry, to make meaning out of our lives.
In John 6:63, Jesus said: It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing…So, He quickens our bodies, our minds and He empowers our spirits (Ephesians 3:16). Without Him, we are utterly helpless!
Hear this: Even the life of Christ had no meaning, until the Holy Ghost came. The Messiah was locked up in a carpenter’s shed, until the Holy Ghost came. The Creator could not give expression to His capacity, until the Holy Ghost came. The apostles were in hiding, until the Holy Ghost came. You need to desire an encounter with the Holy Ghost, to move forward in life.
Our mission on earth is impossible without the Holy Ghost. Desire an encounter with Him, this month, and your life will take a dramatic turn. Recognize that life in the Kingdom is meaningless, without the help of the Holy Ghost.
How to engage the ministry of the Holy Ghost
By praying in tongues: We can engage the ministry of the Holy Ghost by praying in tongues. Jude 20 says: But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost. Praying in the Spirit keeps Him active in our lives.
The Bible says: Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us…(Romans 8:26). The Holy Spirit helps us to pray in line with the will of God. We fan the fire of the Holy Ghost and keep it burning, by praying in tongues. That simply shows that we don’t just get baptized or get filled; we must learn how to engage the Holy Spirit to build up ourselves.
Major Missions Of The Holy Spirit
Reaching out to the lost: The number one mission, which is often neglected or ignored, is reaching out to the lost. But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth (Acts 1:8).
When the Holy Ghost came on the day of Pentecost, 3,000 people were saved (Acts 2:41). In Acts 4:4, 5,000 people were saved. Then in Acts 5:14, multitudes of men and women were added to the church. In Acts 6,…the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly.
His first major mission is to depopulate hell, and draw souls into the Kingdom of God. That is why the Holy Ghost leaves any church, where new birth is not promoted. He leaves, when He is not being engaged in soul-winning. If the Holy Ghost must not leave the church, we must remain tireless in our commitment to reaching out to the lost. This is His number one Mission!
So, the Holy Ghost is given principally for soul-winning. Only men and women that truly engage in a drive to see souls won, can maintain the vibrant Ministry of the Holy Spirit in their lives.
How Does The Holy Ghost Empower Us For Soul-Winning
- Ø By directing us to ready souls: Do you remember the case of the Ethiopian Eunuch and Phillip? The Holy Ghost said to Phillip, “Join yourself to that chariot, that guy is ready for me” (Acts 8:29-37). It was the Holy Ghost that told Philip to join the Ethiopian Eunuch’s chariot, because he was ready for Him. The Holy Spirit directs us to where ready souls are.
Also, in Acts 10:19-20, it was the Holy Ghost that said to Peter, “Get up, doubting nothing, go there, that soul is ready.” Do you know what happened? The whole household of Cornelius was saved (verses 44-48).
- Ø By giving us supernatural utterance: He speaks through us to get sinners convicted of sin and brings them unto salvation. And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel (Ephesians 6:19). He gives to us the right word in season, to get the lost to see the need for salvation (Isaiah 50:4). That is how He empowers us.
- Ø By pricking the hearts of sinners to repent: The Holy Spirit is the One that pricks the hearts of sinners to repentance (Acts 2:37).
- Ø By provoking the flow of signs and wonders: There are some people that will never believe or repent, except they see signs and wonders. Note how in John 4, by a sign, almost the whole people in the city gave their lives to Christ. The Holy Ghost provokes the flow of signs and wonders, thereby drawing people to the Kingdom. Signs and wonders are one of the effective tools for soul-winning.
Benefits Of Soul-Winning:
v Entitlement to answered prayers (Isaiah 58:9).
v Entitlement to supernatural addition of blessings (Matthew 6:33).
v Entitlement to divine health (John 15:2-5).
The Holy Ghost is the Gateway to revelation: This is the second mission of the Holy Ghost. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost… shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you (John 14:26). Unlimited insight is the ministry of the Holy Spirit. He does not only enlighten us, He reminds us of important things that are needed, from time to time.
Revelation is no mere religious information, but rather the unveiling of the mysteries of the Kingdom by the Holy Ghost (Mark 4:11). A natural man cannot know them, because they can only be unravelled spiritually (1 Corinthians 2:14). But the Holy Ghost comes to unveil to us the things that are freely given to us of God (1 Corinthians 2:12-13). It takes the Spirit of God to buy into the mind of God. So, it takes the Holy Ghost to access revelation.
Every genuine revelation provokes supernatural transformation. God’s Word says: Arise, shine; for thy light is come… (Isaiah 60:1). When the light of the Word of God dawns on your life, you supernaturally shine. Apart from that, it opens you up to a new world.
First Corinthians 2:9-10 says: But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit… So, you need the Holy Ghost to access light; when your light comes, it provokes a flight (Isaiah 60:8, 22). That is dramatic transformation coming by revelation!
God’s Word says: And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified (Acts 20:32). So, your inheritance is loaded in heaven, but accessible only by revelation. You can only possess as far as you can see (Genesis 13:14-15).
It’s so important to understand this mission of the Holy Ghost and engage Him appropriately. Every time true revelation comes, it intoxicates. The Word of God is intoxicating!
How Do We Engage The Holy Ghost For Revelation?
- By engaging your spirit with the Holy Ghost: God’s says: The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord, searching all the inward parts of the belly (Proverbs 20:27). You engage your spirit with the Holy Ghost. So, the Holy Ghost teaches your spirit-man. He bears witness and communicates with your spirit-man (Romans 8:16). So, you have to engage your spirit with the Holy Ghost, to access revelation.
Only the spirit of man can communicate with the Spirit of God (Revelations 1:10). Your spirit-man is a candle, which can only be lit by the Holy Ghost. When your candle is thus lit, you engage your spirit-man with the Holy Ghost to find solutions to challenges.
You engage your spirit with the Holy Ghost to find light in any area of concern in your life. You don’t just pick up books, but you need to ask the Holy Spirit to show you what you need to see in the book. So, everything from heaven flows through your spirit to reach you; but you have to engage your spirit with the Holy Ghost to find it.
- By separating oneself: Here, you separate yourself from the noise and row of life, so as to find that thing missing in your life. Many people have never settled down with the issues of their lives before the Lord. They are just gallivanting around town, with no meaningful results to show. There is no way a person can study for another person to pass an examination!
So, separate yourself, sit down and search out what you need. Through desire a man, having separated himself, seeketh and intermeddleth with all wisdom (Proverbs 18:1). Why? Because God’s voice comes in a still small form (1 Kings 19:12). Only men that are genuinely still can make anything out of life (Psalms 46:10).
Create some quietness around your life. Separate yourself with a desire to find what you are looking for. If there is anything you desire, separate yourself, engage the Holy Ghost and you will find it. That is the way it works!
- Through praise: You can activate His teaching ministry by high praises (Psalms 100:4). So, to gain access to His presence, you need praise.
- By engaging in the act of study: Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15). Every time you pick up the Bible, anointed books, or tapes, just invite the Holy Spirit consciously. He is the Eye-Opener, Grand Teacher, and the Revelator. He will open you up to the next phase of your life. When you are on key with His agenda, He gets on key with your affairs.
The Holy Ghost wipes away shame: The third mission of the Holy Ghost is
to wipe away shame in the lives of children of God. …And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed (Joel 2:24-26).
Until you are filled and remain filled with the Holy Spirit, you cannot fulfill your glorious destiny. Jesus Is Lord! Glory!