Facts about Joel Osteen
Joel Osteen is the pastor of the Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas.
Here are some facts you might not know about Joel Osteen.
Did you know that?
- Joel Osteen is known as the smiling preacher.
- He is a positive preacher as well as a televangelist.
- Since he became the head of Lakewood church he has grown the church’s membership to over 40,000(4 times the members in his father’s time)
- The Lakewood church was founded by his father John Osteen.
- Joel Osteen never intended to become a preacher.
- He ran his Father’s television ministry behind the scenes for 17 years.
- Joel Osteen is a college dropout.
- He most times starts his sermons with a joke.
- Prior to becoming a pastor, he had a fear of public speaking.
- His estimated net worth is over $40 million.
- He lives in a $10.5 million home, with six bedroom, three elevators, six bathroom, a guest house, five fireplaces and a pool house. He still has his former house worth $2.9 million.
- His teachings about prosperity have been publicly called into question.
- He is a bestselling author and a popular motivational speaker
- His first book was “Your best life now: 7 steps to living in full potential, was released in 2004 and has since that time sold more than 110 million copies.
- The aspect of not having a cross or religious symbols in his services, sparks debate among other Christians.
- He no longer takes his $200,000 salary from Lakewood church.
- He met his wife, Victoria, at a jewelry store. Their first date was at the church he now pastors with her.
- The Lakewood church was formerly the arena for the Houston basketball team before they moved.
- He got married on April 4 1987.
- His siblings (Paul, Lisa, Tamara and April) are also into full time ministry.
- Joel and Victoria have two children (Jonathan Osteen and Alexandria Ostee.
- The Lakewood church has a congregational confession
“This is my Bible. I am what it says I am, I have what it says I have, I can do what it says I can do. Today I will be the Word of God. I boldly confess my mind is alert, my heart is receptive, I’llnever be the same, in Jesus name.”
- He pastors the largest church in America.